CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, January 24, 2010

A Very Crafty January


I decided that this year I would learn how to sew clothes. I have never sewn anything so I decided to start small and make a skirt. I figured how hard could it be? haha

Well when you don't have a pattern or a sewing machine it is pretty hard. It took a long time to sew it all by hand using only a skirt that I already own as a reference. It's not perfect but I think the flaws are small enough that only I would notice. In the end I had a pretty cute skirt that I was happy to wear out in public which was the goal all along. Hooray! And just for fun I used the same fabric as the skirt to make the headband I am wearing in the picture.

My other goal for this month was to finish the painting that I started at the beginning of last year. I am a really slow painter! But tonight I finally finished it! The picture doesn't do it justice because the colors look really different in real life. The leaves should not look quite so green... but you get the idea. I was inspired by the Robert Frost poem, "The Road not Taken" and titled it "Yellow Wood." My real New Years resolution is to paint more frequently this year so maybe it won't take me an entire year to do one painting.

13 comments:

Darin and Kali said...

Wow you are seriously amazing! That picture is so beautiful! And that skirt is awesome and I can't believe that you had the patience to sew it by hand!!! I sew all the time and it seems like everything that I make for me never turns out! We hope everything is going great for you guys!

Cass said...

Meg, I can't get over how talented you are. Everything you put your mind to turns out perfect. send some of those vibes my way. You look so dang cute! Talk to ya soon.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Julie Sacks said...

That painting is so amazing!!! I am very very impressed, I had no idea that you could paint. The skirt is very cute as well.. esp with out a pattern!

Lauren K said...

Meg, I'm so impressed! Congratulations on the new skill and on the beautiful painting. To echo everyone else's comments- you are AMAZING!

Karissa Kay said...

Wow! You're amazing! The skirt is darling and the painting is incredible!!

Amberlin Gefrom said...

wow.......like seriously you could sell your paintings and be uber rich! haha I am so jealous of your awesome talent! way to go!

Ann said...

Both the skirt and the painting look great!! I'm impressed that you sewed the skirt by hand--that takes a lot of patience. So, what's the next sewing project?

Anonymous said...

Wow! Meg, How impressive! I would love to paint... always have. Maybe someday, I am quite sure it won't look that good though:)

Team Covey said...

Crafty is NOT the right word to describe both of your masterpieces. You are incredible. Way. to. go. Seriously.

Brooke said...

Wow Meg!! You are so SO amazing! Yes, you are beyond "crafty", you are pro! And I love that skirt too!

dannii said...

amazing! your painting, skirt, and headband are lovely. you are more than welcome to my sewing machine anytime you like as well. let's have a sewing date sometime!

B said...

So cute Meg. You looked so cute that day at church.

Still feel up to painting me those ballet shoes? I'll pay you big money! =)