CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, October 6, 2011

St. George Marathon 2011

Yes, we did it again! Abe and I along with his two brothers Adam and Andrew ran the St. George Marathon this last weekend. It was not as cold as it was last time so we didn't freeze our buns off at the starting line but on the other hand it did get pretty hot at the end. It feels surreal running through the desert with your mouth so dry it feels like cotton for 5 hours, something you would read about in a book. What is even funnier is how many people do it! I think that 7500 runners registered. I don't know how many actually ran it but there were a lot of runners. I guess marathon runners are all a little crazy in the head to begin with... I saw a women being taken away on a stretcher at mile 21 and Abe said he saw at least 3 people along the way getting oxygen from the paramedics. I am so glad that none of us had any real problems along the way.

Abe was the first to finish with a time of 4 hours and 30 minutes and he waited at the finish line for the rest of us. Andrew came in second at about 5 hours and 9 minutes. Adam finished third at a time of 5 hours 35 minutes and I finished last at 5 hours 40 minutes. Neither Abe or I were totally happy with our times but we were still happy that we finished and still felt pretty good at the end.

Abe trained with his brothers and I at our speeds so he hadn't really trained to run as fast as he usually runs a marathon which is why he wasn't as happy with his time. My goal, other then finishing was to beat my previous time of 5 hours and 30 minutes and was on pace to kill it by 30 minutes until I got to about mile 18 and from then on it was a walk/jog/walk again, to the end. Maybe next time I will be able to get closer to 5 hours.

Anyway, we were all pretty tired after waking up at 4:15 am and running for 5+ hours. We ate some post race goodies and went back to the house my parents own down in St. George to clean up. We spent the rest of the day eating, relaxing, stretching out and getting rub downs from Adams oldest daughter Shariah. I was so happy that I didn't get sick like I did last time and was able to enjoy the rest of the weekend.

We were all pretty sore and walking funny the next day, especially after the 4 hour drive home. Sitting in a car for that long without stretching your legs is not the best thing to do after a marathon, but it was good to be home. (The boys did not do well in the car.)

My parents were nice enough to drive all the way down so they could watch the boys for us Saturday while we were running and see us finish. Also our good friends Brook and Cody came from Vegas to see us finish as well and stayed till Sunday to hang out. They also helped a lot with the boys which was super nice considering they had two of their kids with them as well. But it is always fun to see them even if it is just for a day.

My family and friends were cheering us on from the bleachers so my dad was the only one at the finish line to snap a few quick pics. So we don't have nearly as many pictures this time. There was a tunnel with water spraying down on you just after you cross the finish line to cool the runners off. So I promise we are dripping wet from standing under the water not from sweat. haha.
(Our wet smooch)
Here is Abe just after he finished. He had gone through the spray tunnel and it made it so the salt from his forehead dripped down into his eyes which is why he is squinting...
This race is by far the most well done race that any of us have ever run. They are prepared with everything and they have the best volunteers and fans. It was such a fun experience and I am sure we will do it again someday but for now I am ready to take a break from the long runs and enjoy the holidays!

4 comments:

Lauren K said...

Way to go Fords!! I am VERY impressed!! Yes, I do agree that marathoners must be a little crazy in the head, but I totally ENVY the dedication and self-discipline! Great job!

cbleeflang said...

I found your blog from Liz's, hope you don't mind. Congrats on the marathon and I had no idea you had twins-sounds overwhelmning!

dannii said...

there are times, meg, when i think i am getting things done in life. then i read this and all i can think is "holy cow! she's amazing!" with twin babies, you decide to run a marathon and i don't doubt that you are still doing hair sometimes and i know you are pinteresting it and i mean, wow. you are inspirational. love you guys.

Cath said...

Yes, all I can say is Wow. Twin babies less than a year and you're knocking out 26.2 miles! You are something else! Congratulations on such a huge accomplishment. Just peeking in here to say hello. (And SO glad your boys are wearing the clothes. Makes me happy!)